So as we know link building and SEO changed dramatically in 2012. Old types of link building that use to provide good results is no longer working. In some cases, the link building that you have done in the past could be hurting your website rankings. Here is a list of some major things that have changed in 2012 and will no longer work in 2013.
1. Article blasts with spun articles (This was never a good idea to begin with but its just plain dumb now.)
2. Link building using a heavy dose of anchor text over and over in hopes of raising your rankings for the search term that you use in the anchor text.
3. Directory Submissions to spammy directories. (This is something that always seemed fishy to me)
4. Forum profile links (A complete waste of time)
5. Blog comments (Some SEO companies say that this is still a valuable way to provide links but this always has the potential to be a spam nightmare. Even if the comments arent spammy when you post your comment, they can become that way shortly afterwards.)
6. Link farms (Busted!). There were several SEO companies and other websites that were doing this , having great results and now you cant find them anywhere in SERPs.
So this brings us to the question, well, what is working with SEO and today’s link building strategies. The focus is now shifted back to creating great content, sharing your content on social bookmarking sites, tweeting them etc. This is the way it should have always been with search engine optimization. Google is getting smarter and we will all have to fall in line or fall out of the rankings.